Cheese and mushroom quesadillas recipe is a versatile, cheap and quick dinner recipe. They are great with salsa and guacamole. For a better taste, choose only fresh tortillas. Fresh tortillas usually soft and pliable, you can pick up the package and toss lightly in your hand, bend them back and forth. If the tortillas bend easily, then they are fresher than those that break and crack.
- 3 Tbsp. butter or margarine, divided
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet or yellow onion
- 1-1/2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp. dried thyme
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 8 (7-inch) flour tortillas
- 1-1/2 cups (6oz.) Mexican cheese, divided
- Salsa, sour cream, chopped cilantro, diced avocado or guacamole (optional)
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter in large skillet over medium heat. Add onion; cook 3 minutes. Add mushrooms, garlic, thyme, salt and pepper; cook 5 minutes or until liquid evaporates.
- Melt remaining butter; brush one side of 4 tortillas. Arrange tortillas, buttered side down, on large baking sheet; top with 1 cup cheese. Arrange mushroom mixture over cheese; press lightly. Brush remaining butter over tops of tortillas.
- Bake in preheated 450°F oven 6 minutes or until tortilla tops are golden brown. Top quesadillas with remaining cheese; bake 1 minute or until quesadillas are golden brown and cheese is melted. Cut into wedges; serve with toppings as desired.