Warm corn tortillas stuffed with Filet mignon, rubbed in spices, seared, and sliced rare. Quick home-pickled red onion. Cilantro. Lime. Queso fresco. A little bit of cooking. A little bit of assembly. When it came time to rustle together a weeknight dinner for two, this is a will be a great hit.
- 2 small beef tenderloin steaks, about 4 ounces each
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- Kosher salt
- 1 red onion, sliced thinly
- 1/4 cup wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon of vegetable, canola, or olive oil
- 10 small (4 1/2 inches) corn tortillas
- 1 cup diced or grated queso fresco
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped fresh cilantro leaves and fine stems
- 1 lime cut in small wedges
- Season the filet steaks with cumin, chili powders, and salt. Set aside. Place red onion, vinegar, and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a bowl and stir to combine. Let sit for 15 minutes.
- Heat oil in a small cast iron or stainless steel skillet over high heat until just starting to smoke. Add steaks and cook without moving until well browned, about, about 2 minutes. Flip and cook second side until brown, about 2 minutes longer. Transfer to a large plate and let rest for 5 minutes. Slice steak and serve with warmed tortillas, onions, cheese, cilantro, and lime wedges.