Crisp raw shredded kale makes a nutritious and tasty salad, especially when paired with toasted pine nuts, currants, and shaved Parmesan. It also holds up well, even with the dressing, so you can make it ahead of time.
Make serves 4
- 2 tablespoons currants
- 2 tablespoons cup golden or white balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 bunch kale, thick stems discarded, leaves cut into 1/2-inch ribbons (about 2 quarts loosely packed ribbons)
- 3 tablespoons pine nuts, toasted
- 2 ounces Parmesan cheese shaved with a vegetable peeler
- In medium microwave-safe bowl place currants and balsamic vinegar and cook in the microwave for 30 seconds to plump up the currants.
- Whisk in the honey. Whisking continuously, slowly drizzle in olive oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, toss the kale and pine nuts. Add the dressing with the currants to the shredded kale, little by little, until adequately dressed. Spoon out the currants if you have dressing left over.
- Return salad to refrigerator for at least 20 minutes and up to overnight to soften kale leaves. Serve, topped with grated Parmesan.